Skip to main content

KYC norms: Directors protest disqualification, seek time to finish process

Company directors who have not authenticated themselves have written to the secretary to the Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA), seeking more time to complete the process. They said the MCA 21 site was not working and because of that they could not complete their know your customer (KYC) norms. The MCA is deactivating the registrations of 2 million directors because they did not update their KYCs. In 60 days, 1.2 million directors have completed their KYCs. The remaining will be disqualified unless they update their KYC and pay a penalty to the ministry.
There were 3.2 million active director identification numbers (DINs) with the Registrar of Companies. The ministry is planning to track down each director who has not completed his or her KYC. Stating that the ministry will not extend the time to update KYC, sources said it was the directorsā€™ fault and not the ministryā€™s. ā€œIf they have not done it, they deserve to pay a fine,ā€ an official said, adding the system had the capacity to handle 100,000 companies each day. ā€œOn the last day, more than 100,000 directors had done their update. This means that the systems can take the load. In 60 days, 6 million directors could have completed the process. The fact that they didnā€™t shows how much they lack discipline.ā€ 
Directors have said disqualification will cause damage to the economy. Disqualified directors are not allowed to practise for five years, according to the Companies Act. A senior ministry official said: ā€œOf the 60 days we gave them, 15 days was an extension. It was initially opened for 45 days.ā€ In a 60-day drive, the MCA asked directors to update their KYCs by linking them to their Aadhaar number and passport details. In June, the government had asked company directors, including those who were disqualified, and designated partners in LLPs (limited liability partnerships) to submit KYC details by submitting the DIR-3 KYC e-form. The last date for complying with the new norms by way of submitting form 'DIR-3 KYC' without fee was September 15. The government is cracking down on shell firms and their directors also. When the government first struck off 200,000 shell companies, 300,000 directors were disqualified.
 
The Business Standard, 18th September 2018

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GST collection for November rises by 8.5% to Rs.1.82 trillion

  New Delhi: Driven by festive demand, the Goods and Services Tax (GST) collections for the Union and state governments climbed to Rs.1.82 trillion in November, marking an 8.5% year-on-year growth, according to official data released on Sunday. Sequentially, however, the latest collection figures are lower than the Rs.1.87 trillion reported in October, which was the second highest reported so far since the new indirect tax regime was introduced in 2017. The highest-ever GST collection of Rs.2.1 trillion was reported in April. The consumption tax figures highlight the positive impact of the recent festive season on goods purchases, providing a much-needed boost the industry had been anticipating. The uptick in GST collections driven by festive demand had been anticipated by policymakers, who remain optimistic about sustained growth in rural consumption and an improvement in urban demand. The Ministry of Finance, in its latest monthly economic review released last week, stated that I...

Budget: Startup sector gets new Fund of Funds, FM to allocate Rs 10K cr

  The Indian startup sector received a boost with Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announcing the establishment of a new fund of funds (FoF) in the Budget 2025. The minister unveiled a fresh FoF with an expanded scope, allocating Rs 10,000 crore. The initial fund of funds announced by the government with an investment of Rs 10,000 crore successfully catalysed commitments worth Rs 91,000 crore, the minister said.   ā€œThe renewal of the Rs 10,000 crore commitment to the Fund of Funds for alternative investment funds (AIFs) is a significant step forward for the Indian startup and investment ecosystem. The initial Rs 10,000 crore commitment catalysed Rs 91,000 crore in investments, and I fully expect this fresh infusion to attract an additional Rs 1 lakh to Rs 1.5 lakh crore in capital,ā€ said Anirudh Damani, managing partner, Artha Venture Funds.   Damani further added that this initiative will provide much-needed growth capital to early-stage startups, further strengthenin...

RBI to weigh growth slowdown, inflation at its MPC meeting this December

  Despite GDP growth declining to 5.4 per cent in the Julyā€“September quarter, the Reserve Bank of Indiaā€™s (RBI) six-member monetary policy committee (MPC) is expected to maintain the current repo rate during its review meeting this week, according to a Business Standard survey of 10 respondents. Among the respondents, only IDFC First Bank forecast a 25-basis-point (bps) reduction in the repo rate. Since May 2022, the RBI has raised the repo rate by 250 bps to 6.5 per cent as of February 2023 and has held it steady across the last 10 policy reviews. The latest GDP figures, published on Friday (November 29), showed that growth for Q2 FY25 slowed to 5.4 per cent year-on-year, down from 6.7 per cent in Q1. Most survey participants suggested that the RBI might revise its growth and inflation projections for the financial year. The poll indicated that the central bank could lower its growth estimate from the current 7.2 per cent and increase its inflation forecast, currently at 4.5 per c...