Skip to main content

Co-location case: Sebi directs senior NSE officials to stay 'out of action'

Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) has directed the NSE to keep four senior officials, served show-cause notices (SCN) in the co-location case, out of action. Sources said these four key managerial personnel (KMP) will have to remain out of the bourseā€™s ā€œsensitiveā€ and ā€œconfidentialā€ matters until the probe is complete.
The move is to ensure a fair trial in the colo case, which is nearing conclusion. ā€œThese KMP have also been directed to recuse themselves from key decisions of the NSE. Further, they have been told not to participate in any of the core activities,ā€ said a regulatory official. Meanwhile, the NSE has filed another consent application with Sebi based on fresh SCNs served on July 4.
Notices have also been served to about 20 individuals. These include Ravi Varanasi, the exchangeā€™s chief of business development, and Suprabhat Lala, senior vice-president (regulatory and investor services cell). Sebi had, in March, returned the NSEā€™s previous consent application citing pending investigations. Experts say Sebiā€™s directive may not serve any purpose as it comes years after the investigation was initiated.
ā€œSuch an action should have come immediately after the investigation began. The matter has been going on for four years. Barring senior people from core activities would serve limited purpose and may not address the issue,ā€ said J N Gupta, managing partner, Stakeholder Empowerment services (SES). People with knowledge of the matter say Sebiā€™s directive has come after the CBI intervened and filed a first information report against Sebi officials and others in the colo case. CBI is probing a complaint of abuse of the tick-by-tick architecture of the NSE server.
It is alleged that exchange employees may have deleted important mails, texts and logs with the intention of destroying electronic evidence. In May 2017, Sebi had formed an internal investigative team to look into potential connivance between NSE officials and brokers accused of misusing the co-location facility. Sebi has also appointed two forensic auditors to audit the money trails and undue gains made out of preferential access at the exchange server. In 2017, Sebi had issued interim show-cause notices to the exchange and 14 officials ā€” both former and existing ā€” asking them to explain alleged irregularities in the functioning of the co-location system.
That notice was related to violation of SECC (stock exchanges and clearing corporation) regulations by NSE and its officials. The regulator has been probing alleged lapses in high-frequency trading offered through NSEā€™s co-location facility since 2015. Industry experts say Sebi provisions allow for stringent action against those found guilty of market manipulation. Sebi has the powers to impose a heavy penalty and impose prohibition from accessing the securities market for at least five years. The aggrieved party, however, may take the judicial route to challenge the decision.

The Business Standard, 12th September 2018

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GST collection for November rises by 8.5% to Rs.1.82 trillion

  New Delhi: Driven by festive demand, the Goods and Services Tax (GST) collections for the Union and state governments climbed to Rs.1.82 trillion in November, marking an 8.5% year-on-year growth, according to official data released on Sunday. Sequentially, however, the latest collection figures are lower than the Rs.1.87 trillion reported in October, which was the second highest reported so far since the new indirect tax regime was introduced in 2017. The highest-ever GST collection of Rs.2.1 trillion was reported in April. The consumption tax figures highlight the positive impact of the recent festive season on goods purchases, providing a much-needed boost the industry had been anticipating. The uptick in GST collections driven by festive demand had been anticipated by policymakers, who remain optimistic about sustained growth in rural consumption and an improvement in urban demand. The Ministry of Finance, in its latest monthly economic review released last week, stated that I...

Budget: Startup sector gets new Fund of Funds, FM to allocate Rs 10K cr

  The Indian startup sector received a boost with Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announcing the establishment of a new fund of funds (FoF) in the Budget 2025. The minister unveiled a fresh FoF with an expanded scope, allocating Rs 10,000 crore. The initial fund of funds announced by the government with an investment of Rs 10,000 crore successfully catalysed commitments worth Rs 91,000 crore, the minister said.   ā€œThe renewal of the Rs 10,000 crore commitment to the Fund of Funds for alternative investment funds (AIFs) is a significant step forward for the Indian startup and investment ecosystem. The initial Rs 10,000 crore commitment catalysed Rs 91,000 crore in investments, and I fully expect this fresh infusion to attract an additional Rs 1 lakh to Rs 1.5 lakh crore in capital,ā€ said Anirudh Damani, managing partner, Artha Venture Funds.   Damani further added that this initiative will provide much-needed growth capital to early-stage startups, further strengthenin...