Skip to main content

NSE sues Singapore Exchange in the Bombay HC over India product launch

NSE sues Singapore Exchange in the Bombay HC over India product launch
The NSE is trying to stop SGX from launching derivatives that could replace the Nifty 50 contracts that have traded in the city-state for 18 years.The National Stock Exchange (NSE) has sued the Singapore Exchange (SGX) in the Bombay High Court, escalating a dispute that threatens to leave international investors without one of the worldā€™s most widely used offshore futures contracts.
The NSE is trying to stop SGX from launching derivatives that could replace the Nifty 50 contracts that have traded in the city-state for 18 years.Global funds use these instruments to hedge their positions in one of Asiaā€™s biggest equity markets. Indian exchanges ended agreements that allowed offshore derivatives in February, leaving SGX and others scrambling
This is a big mess. I canā€™t see how SGX would go through with the launch when this is in the air. Thereā€™s a lot of gray here, because if investors do trade the new contract knowing this legal case is out there, is there legal liability that cuts through to the investors of the new contractsā€, said David Shin, Asia head of global equity derivative sales at TD Securities in Singapore.
SGX, which announced the NSEā€™s legal action in a statement on Tuesday, said it has full confidence in its legal position and would vigorously defend itself.The Singapore bourseā€™s stock declined two per cent on news of the lawsuit. The Mumbai court is expected to hear the case on Wednesday, according to people with knowledge of the matter who asked not to be named because the details arenā€™t public
Investors having existing positions in SGX will be affected if the Mumbai court stays the start of the contract,ā€ said Devansh Lakhani, director at Lakhani Financial Services in Mumbai. ā€œInvestors with outstanding positions may have to book losses if they arenā€™t able to rollover to the new contractā€.
NSE spokesman Debojyoti Chatterjee declined to comment. The exchangeā€™s move is another ratcheting up of tensions between bourses in India and Singapore amid efforts by the former to keep trading onshore.
China and Malaysia are among other emerging economies in the region that have taken steps to keep control of capital flows even as they push to further integrate into global markets. In Indiaā€™s case, its been promoting a tax-free trading zone in Prime Minister Narendra Modiā€™s home state, known as Gift City, as an alternative to offshore centers.
ā€œThe principal objective is to prevent Indiaā€™s turnover from being affected by overseas venues,ā€ said Gopalan Sridhar, a Singapore-based fund manager at Aquarius Investment Advisors Pte. ā€œAt the same time, NSE is trying to increase access to international investors by increasing trading hours and allowing US clients to tradeā€.
US regulators last week approved allowing NSE members to accept American customer funds for trading in futures and options contracts on the Mumbai bourse. In February, Indiaā€™s national exchanges said they would end all licensing agreements with overseas bourses and also stop providing live prices.
The Business Standard, New Delhi, 23 May 2018

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GST collection for November rises by 8.5% to Rs.1.82 trillion

  New Delhi: Driven by festive demand, the Goods and Services Tax (GST) collections for the Union and state governments climbed to Rs.1.82 trillion in November, marking an 8.5% year-on-year growth, according to official data released on Sunday. Sequentially, however, the latest collection figures are lower than the Rs.1.87 trillion reported in October, which was the second highest reported so far since the new indirect tax regime was introduced in 2017. The highest-ever GST collection of Rs.2.1 trillion was reported in April. The consumption tax figures highlight the positive impact of the recent festive season on goods purchases, providing a much-needed boost the industry had been anticipating. The uptick in GST collections driven by festive demand had been anticipated by policymakers, who remain optimistic about sustained growth in rural consumption and an improvement in urban demand. The Ministry of Finance, in its latest monthly economic review released last week, stated that I...

Budget: Startup sector gets new Fund of Funds, FM to allocate Rs 10K cr

  The Indian startup sector received a boost with Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announcing the establishment of a new fund of funds (FoF) in the Budget 2025. The minister unveiled a fresh FoF with an expanded scope, allocating Rs 10,000 crore. The initial fund of funds announced by the government with an investment of Rs 10,000 crore successfully catalysed commitments worth Rs 91,000 crore, the minister said.   ā€œThe renewal of the Rs 10,000 crore commitment to the Fund of Funds for alternative investment funds (AIFs) is a significant step forward for the Indian startup and investment ecosystem. The initial Rs 10,000 crore commitment catalysed Rs 91,000 crore in investments, and I fully expect this fresh infusion to attract an additional Rs 1 lakh to Rs 1.5 lakh crore in capital,ā€ said Anirudh Damani, managing partner, Artha Venture Funds.   Damani further added that this initiative will provide much-needed growth capital to early-stage startups, further strengthenin...