Skip to main content

India may have to End Export Promotion Plans If WTO Objects

India may have to End Export Promotion Plans If WTO Objects
Panel set up by WTOā€™s Dispute Settlement Body to look expeditiously into US complaint on subsidies
Indiaā€™s export promotion programmes have come under the global trade watchdogā€™s scanner and would need to be stopped if found prohibited as per the World Trade Organisation (WTO) norms. The WTO on Monday referred a US complaint against Indiaā€™s export promotion schemes to the Dispute Settlement Body (DSB) by establishing a panel to look expeditiously into the matter.
Failing to find a mutually agreed solution in the stipulated 30 days to Indiaā€™s export promotion programmes, which Washington claims harm American workers, the US had requested the establishment of a panel more than 10 days ago.ā€œA panel has been established in the DSB under accelerated timelines of the agreement on subsidies and countervailing measures (SCM) on our export-related measures,ā€ an official privy to the details told ET.
The SCM agreement provides for accelerated procedures with several shorter time-periods. Further, the panel has to circulate its report to all WTO members within 90 days of the date of its composition and the establishment of its terms of reference.
ā€œThis means we have smaller time period for compliance and if any subsidies are found to be prohibited, then we will have to stop them as soon as possible. This is difficult,ā€ said an expert on WTO issues.India can appeal to the Appellate Body in case the findings of the panelā€™s report are not in its favour. However, India would have to scrap whichever schemes the Appellate Body finds violating norms.
Pegging the quantum of subsidies at USD 7 billion, the US had in March dragged India to WTO for violating commitments under the ASCM in five of its most used export promotion schemesā€”the export-oriented units scheme and sector-specific schemes including electronics hardware technology parks scheme, merchandise exports from India scheme, export promotion capital goods scheme, special economic zones and duty-free import authorisation scheme.It alleged that despite the expiry of Indiaā€™s exemption under the WTOā€™s special and differential provisions for developing countries in 2015, Delhi has increased the size and scope of these programmes.
The agreement envisages the eventual phasing out of export subsidies and provides eight years for graduating countries (least developed and developing), which cross the USD1,000 mark at 1990 exchange rate to phase out export subsidies. Under existing WTO rules, a country can no longer offer export subsidies if its per-capita GNI has crossed USD 1,000 for three years in a row.

The Economic Times, New Delhi, 30th May 2018

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GST collection for November rises by 8.5% to Rs.1.82 trillion

  New Delhi: Driven by festive demand, the Goods and Services Tax (GST) collections for the Union and state governments climbed to Rs.1.82 trillion in November, marking an 8.5% year-on-year growth, according to official data released on Sunday. Sequentially, however, the latest collection figures are lower than the Rs.1.87 trillion reported in October, which was the second highest reported so far since the new indirect tax regime was introduced in 2017. The highest-ever GST collection of Rs.2.1 trillion was reported in April. The consumption tax figures highlight the positive impact of the recent festive season on goods purchases, providing a much-needed boost the industry had been anticipating. The uptick in GST collections driven by festive demand had been anticipated by policymakers, who remain optimistic about sustained growth in rural consumption and an improvement in urban demand. The Ministry of Finance, in its latest monthly economic review released last week, stated that I...

Budget: Startup sector gets new Fund of Funds, FM to allocate Rs 10K cr

  The Indian startup sector received a boost with Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announcing the establishment of a new fund of funds (FoF) in the Budget 2025. The minister unveiled a fresh FoF with an expanded scope, allocating Rs 10,000 crore. The initial fund of funds announced by the government with an investment of Rs 10,000 crore successfully catalysed commitments worth Rs 91,000 crore, the minister said.   ā€œThe renewal of the Rs 10,000 crore commitment to the Fund of Funds for alternative investment funds (AIFs) is a significant step forward for the Indian startup and investment ecosystem. The initial Rs 10,000 crore commitment catalysed Rs 91,000 crore in investments, and I fully expect this fresh infusion to attract an additional Rs 1 lakh to Rs 1.5 lakh crore in capital,ā€ said Anirudh Damani, managing partner, Artha Venture Funds.   Damani further added that this initiative will provide much-needed growth capital to early-stage startups, further strengthenin...