Skip to main content

Debarred firm directors may approach courts

Debarred firm directors may approach courts
The governmentĀ“s move to debar directors of companies that have not filled annual returns for three successive years is likely to be challenged in courts citing retrospective application of the Companies Act, 2013.

Asageneral rule, the law is always applicable prospectively unless any prior date is mentioned specifically, says Sumit Naib, associate director, Companies Act, 2013, that pertains to disqualification of directors due to nonfiling of financials and annual returns for three years, is applicable to all types of companies, including private ones, with effect from April 1, 2014. Prior to enactment of this new section under Companies Act, 2013, the corresponding section under the Companies Act, 1956, was applicable only to public companies.

The Ministry of Corporate Affairs earlier this month struck off the names of around from the records, found to be without any business activity or had not filed financial statements for three years or more.

Subsequently the directors, or the authorised signatories, of the debarred companies had been disqualified from being appointed in any other company in that position.

According to the government estimates, at least 200,000- 300,000 disqualified directors shall get debarred in the process.

Many directors feel the period of default being considered the list of is prior to the of section the Companies 2013.

ā€œAccordingly, may approach seeking relief on says Naib.

Nabeel partner advisory firm, Grant Thornton India.

ā€œOne could takeaview that to the extent relates to by private companies, the law was introduced only with effect from FY 2014-15,ā€ he says. However, if the director was appointed after introduction of the Companies Act, 2013, and at that point such noncompliance existed, he or she would still stand disqualified, points out Ahmed.

Legal experts note that during introduction of the new company law in 2014, the government had introduced a Company Law Settlement Scheme ā€”a two month window ā€”for companies that defaulted on filing statements to come good by payingalower fee.

However, for companies that took advantage of this scheme, the provisions of Section 164 (2) would apply only for prospective defaults, if any, says Ahmed.

According to the Companies Act, 2013, any aggrieved director could apply to the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) within three years of the debarment order.

If in the opinion of the NCLT, removal is not justified, it may order restoration of the name of the company in the Registrar of Companies.

The Business Standard, New Delhi, 21th September 2017

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GST collection for November rises by 8.5% to Rs.1.82 trillion

  New Delhi: Driven by festive demand, the Goods and Services Tax (GST) collections for the Union and state governments climbed to Rs.1.82 trillion in November, marking an 8.5% year-on-year growth, according to official data released on Sunday. Sequentially, however, the latest collection figures are lower than the Rs.1.87 trillion reported in October, which was the second highest reported so far since the new indirect tax regime was introduced in 2017. The highest-ever GST collection of Rs.2.1 trillion was reported in April. The consumption tax figures highlight the positive impact of the recent festive season on goods purchases, providing a much-needed boost the industry had been anticipating. The uptick in GST collections driven by festive demand had been anticipated by policymakers, who remain optimistic about sustained growth in rural consumption and an improvement in urban demand. The Ministry of Finance, in its latest monthly economic review released last week, stated that I...

Budget: Startup sector gets new Fund of Funds, FM to allocate Rs 10K cr

  The Indian startup sector received a boost with Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announcing the establishment of a new fund of funds (FoF) in the Budget 2025. The minister unveiled a fresh FoF with an expanded scope, allocating Rs 10,000 crore. The initial fund of funds announced by the government with an investment of Rs 10,000 crore successfully catalysed commitments worth Rs 91,000 crore, the minister said.   ā€œThe renewal of the Rs 10,000 crore commitment to the Fund of Funds for alternative investment funds (AIFs) is a significant step forward for the Indian startup and investment ecosystem. The initial Rs 10,000 crore commitment catalysed Rs 91,000 crore in investments, and I fully expect this fresh infusion to attract an additional Rs 1 lakh to Rs 1.5 lakh crore in capital,ā€ said Anirudh Damani, managing partner, Artha Venture Funds.   Damani further added that this initiative will provide much-needed growth capital to early-stage startups, further strengthenin...