Skip to main content

Hike in duty drawback rates won't help much say exporters

Exporters are not impressed by the Centres' decision to increase duty drawback rates for merchandise exports of certain products. Terming the move a 'temporary measure', exporters have demanded the government should take more concrete measures to stem the fall in exports.
Exports stood at $21.35 billion in October 2015 - a 17.53 per cent fall on a year-on-year basis. On Monday, the government had raised the duty drawback rates by two per cent for many sectors including engineering, marine and textiles. Besides, two weeks ago, the government had announced a revamped merchandise exports from India scheme (MEIS) for 110 additional products.
Reacting to these developments, Ajay Sahai, director-general, Federation of Indian Exports Organisation, said more should have been done to lift exports.
The drawback rates are reimbursement of certain customs and excise duties, and service tax on imports of input materials, which go into the manufacture of goods that are exported.
According to Sahai, exporters have not been able to take full advantage of duty drawback. While exporters have applied for drawbacks to the Directorate General of Foreign Trade, many have not claimed the same from the customs department, he noted.
While deciding on new duty drawback rates, Sahai said, the government did not take into account the additional 20 per cent safeguard duty imposed on hot-rolled steel, which would adversely affect smaller firms.
Exporters are also not happy about the revamped MEIS, saying they have not been able to fully benefit from the scheme. While many ports, including India's largest container terminal at Navi Mumbai, are not properly following the procedures related to MEIS, lack of clarify about the procedures has also accentuated the problem.
Devendra Pant, chief economist at India Ratings, said, "In the wake of falling global demands, duty drawbacks as well as recent government reforms in boosting exports will have little long-term effect."
While the government announced an increase in duty drawback rates and new MEIS, it was silent on restoration of interest subvention demanded by exporters.
According to Pant, interest subvention will only change the top line of manufacturers.
Drawback rates are reimbursement of certain customs and excise duties, and service tax on imports of input materials, which go into the manufacture of goods that are exported.On Monday, the government had raised the duty drawback rates by two per cent for many sectors.
The government is silent on restoration of interest subvention, as demanded by exporters.
Business Standard, New Delhi, 18th Nov. 2015

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GST collection for November rises by 8.5% to Rs.1.82 trillion

  New Delhi: Driven by festive demand, the Goods and Services Tax (GST) collections for the Union and state governments climbed to Rs.1.82 trillion in November, marking an 8.5% year-on-year growth, according to official data released on Sunday. Sequentially, however, the latest collection figures are lower than the Rs.1.87 trillion reported in October, which was the second highest reported so far since the new indirect tax regime was introduced in 2017. The highest-ever GST collection of Rs.2.1 trillion was reported in April. The consumption tax figures highlight the positive impact of the recent festive season on goods purchases, providing a much-needed boost the industry had been anticipating. The uptick in GST collections driven by festive demand had been anticipated by policymakers, who remain optimistic about sustained growth in rural consumption and an improvement in urban demand. The Ministry of Finance, in its latest monthly economic review released last week, stated that I...

Budget: Startup sector gets new Fund of Funds, FM to allocate Rs 10K cr

  The Indian startup sector received a boost with Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announcing the establishment of a new fund of funds (FoF) in the Budget 2025. The minister unveiled a fresh FoF with an expanded scope, allocating Rs 10,000 crore. The initial fund of funds announced by the government with an investment of Rs 10,000 crore successfully catalysed commitments worth Rs 91,000 crore, the minister said.   ā€œThe renewal of the Rs 10,000 crore commitment to the Fund of Funds for alternative investment funds (AIFs) is a significant step forward for the Indian startup and investment ecosystem. The initial Rs 10,000 crore commitment catalysed Rs 91,000 crore in investments, and I fully expect this fresh infusion to attract an additional Rs 1 lakh to Rs 1.5 lakh crore in capital,ā€ said Anirudh Damani, managing partner, Artha Venture Funds.   Damani further added that this initiative will provide much-needed growth capital to early-stage startups, further strengthenin...

RBI to weigh growth slowdown, inflation at its MPC meeting this December

  Despite GDP growth declining to 5.4 per cent in the Julyā€“September quarter, the Reserve Bank of Indiaā€™s (RBI) six-member monetary policy committee (MPC) is expected to maintain the current repo rate during its review meeting this week, according to a Business Standard survey of 10 respondents. Among the respondents, only IDFC First Bank forecast a 25-basis-point (bps) reduction in the repo rate. Since May 2022, the RBI has raised the repo rate by 250 bps to 6.5 per cent as of February 2023 and has held it steady across the last 10 policy reviews. The latest GDP figures, published on Friday (November 29), showed that growth for Q2 FY25 slowed to 5.4 per cent year-on-year, down from 6.7 per cent in Q1. Most survey participants suggested that the RBI might revise its growth and inflation projections for the financial year. The poll indicated that the central bank could lower its growth estimate from the current 7.2 per cent and increase its inflation forecast, currently at 4.5 per c...